Autumn has transitioned from DABSJ's Foster Care program to Young Adult Voluntary Foster Care, where she continues to grow, learn and thrive. We can't wait to witness the positive impact she will have in our community and wherever life may take her in the future!Read the story
A family centered approach to
build a healthy family.
The Bavolek™ Nurturing Parenting Program is a nationally recognized Evidence Based Program designed for the prevention and treatment of child abuse and neglect. Nurturing Parenting is a family centered and age specific education approach that builds protective factors into the family to increase the health and well-being of its members.
Foster Care Supportive Visitation Program promotes non-violent parenting through:
- Developing empathy, facilitating parent-child bonding and attachment
- Teaching parents appropriate expectations of children’s growth and development to foster positive brain development and feelings of self-worth, trust, and security
- Employing discipline that promotes the dignity of children and adults
- Empowering adults and children to nurture themselves, others and their environment, including animals
- Promoting positive self-worth
- Helping all family members develop a meaningful level of self-awareness and acceptance.
Nurturing Parenting is taught in 12 weekly in-home visits. There is also a pre and post assessment. Each session starts with learning a skill that is immediately practiced during the supervised visit, then a review of the skill following the practice session to reinforce the learning. Foster care workers are kept informed on a weekly basis of the progress of the family toward their goals. Families that are ready to accept instruction to improve their parenting skills are appropriate referrals to the program.
Participants must have children currently placed in foster care, and be referred for this service by their foster care worker.