Here at D.A. Blodgett - St. John's we offer many different mentoring opportunities in the hopes that we can support those who need it most. This program is unique because we are the only COA accredited mentoring program in West Michigan. As a mentor, you have the ability to make a lasting difference in the lives of youth, parents and families.
Who Are Our Mentors
Mentors at DABSJ are volunteers who provide mentoring to promote healthy parenting and support to kids ages 10-25. Our mentors are adult volunteers who commit to supporting someone in need.INQUIRE HERE TO BECOME A MENTOR
* Due to COVID19, we are going virtual with our mentoring opportunities! Consider becoming a virtual mentor today.
Learn about our mentoring programs!
Sometimes youth have difficult things going on at home which affect their academic performance, social interactions, and self-esteem. Mentoring in the school setting improves grades, builds confidence, and encourages youth in other areas of their lives.
As reported by teacher and volunteer surveys, most matched students show great improvement, while volunteers experience personal satisfaction.
- Mentors meet one on one with students at their school for one hour each week, for a minimum of one school year.
- Mentor matches occur during the school calendar only, and only meet on school campus
- Mentors help students grow in areas such as academic success, social skill development, and learning healthy responses to emotions. (social, emotional, and academic support)
- Mentors and their youth build a friendship and may partake in school work, studying for tests, and developing other skills by playing games, doing crafts, and other activities during their hour.
- Ongoing social work and school support is available throughout the duration of the match.
Youth In Business
Our workplace mentoring program makes meaningful, monitored matches between adult volunteers and high school students. The program also improves the odds that youth in our programs will perform better in school, avoid violence and illegal activities, have stronger relationships with their parents and peers and succeed as adults. Mentors help youth further education beyond high school as well as assist in entering the workforce.
How it works:
- High School students will be transported to a company work site, during the school year.
- Sessions will take place on company property in a common area or corporate office.
- Each high school student will be matched with a company employee to work on skill development in the areas of leadership, finance, future employment and education.
- Each session is one hour in length, curriculum-based, structured and coordinated by Mentoring Services staff and school social workers.
If you are interested in being a business partner for our Youth in Business program, please contact Jim Visser.
Would you like to sign your child up for Youth Empowerment mentoring We have limited space. Call Lisa for more information. 616.774.4310.
- Youth Empowerment is a group mentoring program meeting twice per month for 3 months.
- Youth Empowerment is open to youth 10-20 years old.
- Throughout this group mentoring program, each youth will be matched with a designated support person.
- This group will focus on independent skills as well as workforce development.
- Parenting+ is a 3-month group, meeting twice per month.
- Parenting+ is open to moms and dads, age 18 and up.
- Throughout this group each parent will have a designated support person to provide support and encouragement.
- Parenting+ will focus on parenting skills as well as independent living skills such as budgeting, meal prep, job application, and more.
Did you know our mentors pay for their own background check plus all outing expenses? Donate these items to help offset these costs and provide new and fun experiences for kids in our programs!
- Restaurant gift cards: Encourage ours mentors and their matches to try new things by donating a $10-25 gift card to your favorite restaurant or sweet treat shop.
- Movie passes: Everyone loves to go to the movies every once in a while! Donating movie passes will provide a fun, laid back match activity for mentors and their matches in our program.
- Gift cards to local stores-$5-10 (book stores, Target, Meijer, malls etc.): Mentoring Services is a goal-based program! Gift cards to local stores are a great way to reward Youth/Young Moms and their matches when they complete a goal area and encourage them to make and complete even more goals throughout their match.
- Gas cards: Mentors make weekly trips to spend time with their match. Small tokens of thanks, like a $10 gas card, are encouraging reminders of appreciation for our volunteers.
- Amazon gift cards: Each mentor/mentee relationship is unique. We often suggest specific books, games and toys to our mentors when they are presented with new opportunities or challenges and would be grateful to be able to provide them with these items free of charge.