DABSJ has approximately 40 foster children on the waiting list for a mentor. These children either reside in a foster home or residential setting and have experienced abuse or neglect in their life. When a child is removed from a birth family, children’s connections to friends, neighbors and families are affected. All of the children on our waiting list are eager to have a mentor in order to have a safe friend they can rely on.
Is my child/foster child eligible for this program?
- Children need to:
- Be between the ages of 10 and 25
- Reside in Kent County
- Be under court jurisdiction as an abuse/neglect ward
Is mentoring a foster child a good fit for me?
- Volunteers need to:
- Be able to commit at least one year from the initial match date
- Commit 4-6 hours each month (bi-weekly visits are encouraged)
- Partner with the child’s caseworker/therapist to advance the child’s development
- Have an understanding of the impact of trauma on a child’s development
- Be patient, empathetic and flexible